Code of conduct
Copyright Agency is a signatory to the Code of Conduct for Copyright Collecting Societies. The code is designed to ensure that the rights of all members and licensees are clearly stated, and that the operations of collecting societies are transparent and accessible.
The Code of Conduct, which was developed in 2002, includes Complaints Handling and Dispute Resolution procedures that collecting societies must follow.
The current Code Reviewer is the Hon Dr Kevin Lindgren AM QC, a former judge of the Federal Court and President of the Copyright Tribunal.
ANNUAL REVIEW OF COMPLIANCE WITH CODE
Each collecting society’ compliance with the Code is reviewed each year by the Code Reviewer.
The process includes:
- a report by each society on its compliance with the Code
- calls for submissions from members, licensees and others affected by the activities of copyright collecting societies
- a report by the Code Reviewer, published on each society’s website
REPORTS ON COMPLIANCE WITH THE CODE
- Download report on collecting societies’ compliance with the Code in 2016–17
- Download report on collecting societies’ compliance with the Code in 2015–16
- Download report on collecting societies’ compliance with the Code in 2014-15
- Make a complaint
MAKING A SUBMISSION
Licensees, members and others can make a submission to the Code Reviewer about a collecting society’s compliance with the Code of Conduct. Submissions are due by the end of July each year.
Post submissions to: The Code Reviewer, Suite 704, 4 Young Street, Neutral Bay NSW 2089, Australia, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
TRIENNIAL REVIEW OF CODE ITSELF
At least once every three years, the Code Reviewer invites submissions from collecting societies, their members and licensees on whether there are any amendments that are necessary or desirable to improve the operation of the Code.
The most recent review was in 2017.
Copyright Agency made submissions in response to amendments to the Code sought by the NSW Government and Copyright Advisory Group to COAG Education Council:
- Code amendment proposal 2014-11-13
- Code amendment proposal 2015-06-09
- Code amendment proposal 2015-09-07
REPORTS OF TRIENNIAL REVIEWS OF CODE ITSELF
- Download report on 2017 Triennial Review
- Download report on 2014 triennial review
- Download supplementary report on 2014 review
- The next review of the text of the Code is due in 2020.
OTHER REPORTS ON COMPLIANCE AND TRIENNIAL REVIEWS
See previous Code Reviewer Reports on the Screenrights website. If you wish to be emailed previous Code Review Reports, please contact us.