What is resale royalty?
Since 9 June 2010, Australian artists are eligible to receive a 5% royalty on certain resales of their work.
A royalty is payable if:
• the seller did not own the artwork on 8 June 2010 (i.e. they acquired the artwork after that date);
• the work resells for $1,000 (including GST) or more;
• the resale was not a private sale from one individual to another;
• the artist is an Australian citizen or resident;
• if the artist has died: it was less than 70 years ago and there is a beneficiary or estate with a connection to Australia.
Copyright Agency was appointed by the Government to manage the resale royalty scheme.
For more information on the resale royalty scheme and to make sure we can contact you when you receive resale royalties, register your contact details at www.resaleroyalty.org.au